In-house Professional Editor
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Category: Nonprofit-Other Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 03/02/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
This Open Access journal from the AACR will encompass the full spectrum of research on cancer and will encourage high-quality submissions in all areas of cancer science and medicine. This journal seeks to stimulate innovation by promoting the open and rapid exchange of ideas among the multifaceted disciplines that comprise the cancer research community.
AACR seeks an experienced and dynamic individual to lead this Open Access journal launch. The right individual is knowledgeable in both cancer research and trends in Open Access publishing. As a key member of the Publishing Division of AACR, the In-House Professional Editor, Cancer Research Open Access Journal, will have a highly visible role both within the larger cancer research community and within AACR.
Ideal Candidate: The successful candidate will be a highly self- motivated individual who has a doctoral degree in the life sciences (experience as a postdoctoral fellow/research associate in cancer science or medicine strongly preferred) and who has also functioned in a professional editorial capacity for a minimum of 5 years.
Key Competencies and Major Responsibilities:
- Consistent demonstration of personal initiative, integrity, and commitment.
- Motivated to lead on issues related to Open Access publishing.
- The capacity to develop and implement journal strategy in collaboration with the Editors-in-Chief and in-house staff, including recruitment of high-quality content.
- Deep knowledge of journal editorial decision-making processes.
- Strong skills in communicating with authors, editors, reviewers, and readers.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment with in-house staff and academic editors to facilitate manuscript transfers between journals and in the pursuit of other AACR initiatives.
- Ability to travel 25% of time to promote the journal and encourage submissions. Travel could be domestic or international as required.
- Doctoral degree in the life sciences, MD, or MD/PhD (postdoctoral fellow/research associate experience preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years of senior-level editorial experience in scientific or medical journal publishing.
- Title and salary commensurate with experience.
How To Apply:
This position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please email a cover letter explaining why you are interested, along with your current curriculum vitae.