Assistant Professor of Chemistry / Specialty, Inorganic Chemistry
Assistant Professor of Chemistry / Specialty, Inorganic Chemistry
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teach and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society. Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature and Linguistics, Arabic Language, Mass Communication, History, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Environmental Sciences. The College also houses Master Programs, which are M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, M.A. in Gulf Studies, M.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, M.Sc. in Materials Science and Technology, and M.Sc. in Applied Statistics. In addition to a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Gulf Studies. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers namely the Center for Sustainable Development and the Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of Qatar University, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 600,000$ per project and student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences Profile:
The “Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences” consists of two programs, Chemistry and Geology. The B.Sc. degree program in chemistry is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC). The department currently is a home of more than 50 staff members (30 full-time faculty members with expertise in all areas of chemistry, 8 teaching assistants, and 14 technicians). We strive to build a generation equipped with knowledge, competence and modern and comprehensive education in chemistry. The department currently has more than 200 students. In addition, it offers courses to various programs in Qatar University including Biology, Environmental Science, Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Human Nutrition, Medicine and Pharmacy. The department is facilitated with a wide range of modern instrumentation including ICP-MS, LC-MS, GC-MS, and UV and IR spectrophotometers. The department has been collaborating with both the national and international communities as the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC, UK), the American Chemical Society (ACS, USA), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in numerous aspects, Fields of collaboration include: organizing symposiums and public lectures and by hosting workshops and symposia together with other international communities. The faculty members are active in teaching and research and several have been awarded major funding from the Qatar National Research Fund.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in the areas of General Chemistry &Inrganic Chemistry.
- Write research proposals and initiate high-quality research in the area of applied Inorganic Chemistry.
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level.
- Contribute to the research profile of College via establishment of research program and research publications.
- Contribute in developing new curricula and research areas;
- Participate in enhancing the international visibility of QU through participation in international scientific events and building collaborations with worldwide peer academic institutions.
- Other responsibilities assigned by the Head of Department.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry/ Specialty: Inorganic Chemistry from a recognized/ranked university.
- Strong research and publication record in the field of applied Inorganic Chemistry and associated computational chemistry and molecular modeling techniques, such as polymers, dyes / pigments, membrane technology, solar cells, materials for renewable energy, …etc.
- Teaching experience in both theory and laboratory classes for at least 3 years after the PhD.
- Experience with classroom implementation of student centered pedagogies including utilization of advanced technology in teaching.
- The ability to attract external and internal funding.
- Commitment to work with teams.
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and ability to communicate in Arabic is an advantage.
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae that includes the following information:
- Years of experience after PhD.
- Major and specialization/concentration
- H-index, total number of citations, Google scholar link, ORCID number.
- Number of publications and role in each of Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 journals in the last 5 years
- Number of publications and role in non-indexed journals.
- Number of published books and role.
- Number of published chapter of books and role.
- Number of Graduate Students supervised and the role.
- Awards and Grants (with role and budget amount).
- Teaching, research and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity
How To Apply
New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
For further information about the role send an email to email@example.com
Job Category: Academic
End Date of Advertisment: 01-Jan-2023
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*