132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Engineering/Science Postdoctoral Fellow
About the Opportunity
Engineering/Science Postdoctoral Fellow: Sustainable Materials, Structures, and Systems (with a potential joint appointment with industry)
The Roux Institute in Portland, Maine, is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to join our interdisciplinary team focusing on Sustainable Materials, Structures, and Systems. Successful candidates can apply physics-based models and data science to research and develop materials, manufacturing processes, structural elements, and systems to improve energy efficiency and embodied carbon and energy. Ideal candidates will also be interested in executing use-inspired discovery and design with an entrepreneurial and interdisciplinary mindset and solving problems that impact society.
Areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- Advanced Whole-Life Cycle Carbon Analysis
- Low-carbon structural materials and rapid deployment of solutions
- Advanced Mass Timber Design
- Deep Energy Retrofits (building off relationship with PassiveHaus ME)
- Rapid Whole Building Energy Modeling
The fellow will have opportunities to collaborate on existing projects and develop new opportunities with Roux Industry Partners and federal grant opportunities. Specifically, we have the opportunity to establish a joint hire with Roux Industry Partner, Thornton Tomasetti, Portland, ME, to engage in work of mutual interests. Details of that appointment are negotiated on a case-by-case basis. There will also be opportunities to mentor junior team members and provide educational support across the Roux Institute. Candidates will also have the opportunity and are encouraged to engage with other disciplines, including the Roux’s focus on AI/ML and data visualization research, and with members of the College of Engineering.
Postdocs will receive formal and structured mentoring on topics including mentor/mentee research relationships, technology transfer, and proposal development. This mentoring is intended to lead to future employment as a Research Scientist or Research Faculty pending performance.
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Engineering, Science, or related fields.
- Research experience in engineering including, but not limited to, Sustainability, Mechanics and Materials, Manufacturing, and Engineering focused Architectural design for energy efficiency and sustainability.
- Experience in integrated experimental research and modeling using first principles and numerical/statistical methods.
- Programming experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within interdisciplinary research teams and build long-term relationships with research partners.
- Excellent communication skills across diverse audiences and settings.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and innovative setting. Adaptability.
- Develop and advance methods for mechanics and physics-based models and data science in engineering systems.'
- Engage with Senior researchers in developing research programs and proposals with Roux Industry Partners and with Federal funding opportunities.
- Prepare and write research papers, presentations, grant proposals, etc.
- Assist in mentoring graduate students.
The Roux Institute is strongly committed to fostering excellence through diversity and recognizes the strength that diversity in all its forms brings to the research endeavor. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and enthusiastically welcome applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*