Artificial Intelligence Technical Advisor
Would you like to help create solutions for the nation's national security challenges?
Our team is looking to provide our country with ground-breaking capabilities in machine perception and reasoning. To succeed, we need talented engineers, scientists, and developers. We are looking for individuals with curiosity and a strong drive for learning! The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. This requisition is a permanent off-site position for the Department of Defense and located at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia.
- Surveying academic research to engineer practical solutions to challenges in computer vision, sensor fusion, cognitive systems, and predictive analysis
- Understand large data sets and using statistical analyses, reliability analyses, modeling and simulation to develop state of the art metrics for Artificial Intelligence systems.
- Collaborating with Laboratory, for-profit contractor and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
- Effectively communicating results with non-expert audiences and generating innovative ideas to benefit the country
As a Tactical Intelligence Technical Advisor, you will...
- Apply knowledge in quantitative analysis, machine learning, statistical modeling, and software development to data analysis problems for our sponsors.
- Work independently and on teams to engineer automated solutions for sponsor mission challenges. Advise and lead large AI teams.
- Explore promising research and maintain/gain the technical edge required for projects. Share and develop new approaches and methods.
- Collaborate to document and support software analytics, and clearly present status and results to internal and external stakeholders.
You meet our minimum required qualifications if you have...
- A M.S. in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or related technical field.
- A minimum of three (3+) years leading large development teams in Machine Learning and AI projects for the Dept of Defense
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following areas: computer vision, machine learnng, autonomous systems, natural language processing and translation, knowledge representation and reasoning with evidence.
- The desire to quickly learn, research, and develop in many of those areas
- Basic knowledge of statistics and probability.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 10% to customer sites as needed.
You 'll go above and beyond our expectations if you have...
- A PhD in a relevant field, aling with five-plus years of relevant AI experience.
- Understanding of common machine learning algorithms and methods used to parse and analyze data as well as ability to rapidly prototype.
- Expertise with programming languages such as C#, C++, and Python.
- Experience with team-based development of software products and demonstrated ability to lead development/research projects.
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as Caffe, Tensorflow, MXNet, CNTK, and scikit-learn. Familiarity with modern databases and parallel computation also desired.
- Active or current Department of Defense Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*