Coordinator (Nutrient Management Advisor Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City and at large
35-Exempt Contingent Category 2
Applicant Search Category:
University Authorized FTE:
AGNR-Environmental Science & Technology
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the stateís flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nationís legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nationís capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University requires that students, faculty, and staff on the UMD
campus be vaccinated against COVID
-19. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD
, you will be required to comply with the Universityís vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Nutrient management advisors develop nutrient management plans for agricultural producers to balance nutrient inputs with crop requirements, thus enhancing production potential, improving farm profitability, reducing excess nutrient inputs into the Chesapeake Bay and enabling producers to comply with the State of Marylandís Water Quality Improvement Act of 1998.
- Developing and delivering nutrient management plans using specially designed software and software applications;
- Explaining nutrient management planning and plans to agricultural producers;
- Performing phosphorus-loss risk assessments when required;
- Demonstrating proper techniques of soil and manure sampling for agricultural producers and when appropriate collect soil and manure samples;
- Sampling and analyze soils for nitrate-related tests, and
- Demonstrating and training agricultural producers in equipment calibration and crop yield measurements.
BS in agricultural, environmental or natural resource science
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of agricultural production practices and cropping systems
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, use simple analytical equipment, perform basic mathematical and algebraic calculations, and complete reports and records correctly
- Strong organizational skills†
- Ability to work independently
- Competency in the use of word processing and spreadsheet software;
This position requires a candidate to posses personal transportation and a valid driverís license.
- BS or MS in agronomy or plant sciences;
- Experience working with agricultural producersĖ especially regarding small-scale, urban, organic, or intensive vegetable production; ∑
- Certification by the Maryland Department of Agriculture as a Nutrient Management Consultant.
Within one year of employment, employees are required to obtain and maintain certification through the Maryland Department of Agriculture as a Nutrient Management Consultant.
- Filling a Vacant Coordinator Ė Nutrient Management Advisor Position for Anne Arundel County and Baltimore City at Large.
- Salary range lies within the mid to high $40,000s depending on education and qualifications.
- Position Location Work for this full-time position will place in the Anne Arundel County and Baltimore City offices.
If offered employment, individual will be required before beginning job assignment to obtain (and satisfactorily pass) a background check by the State of Maryland and the FBI.
Not Applicable to This Position
Ability to lift 30 pounds and traverse uneven terrain and willingness to work outside under adverse weather conditions.
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration Date
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*