132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Over the past 25 years, the Space Exploration Sector at APL, has pushed the boundaries of what is possible; delivering game-changing impacts to sponsors like NASA and the Department of Defense. This includes historic, science space firsts like New Horizons reaching Pluto, Parker Solar Probe being the first to ďtouchĒ the sun, and the DART mission that redirected an asteroid for planetary defense. As a not-for-profit university affiliated research center, APL also delivered solutions to our nationís national security challenges, as proven with the recent Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) Tech Demo, and acts as a trusted partner with the US Space Force in space domain awareness and space-integrated warfare.
APL teams are currently developing missions that will advance the search for life in the Solar System through programs such as Europa Clipper and Dragonfly, exploring the lunar and cislunar domains, and providing fundamental knowledge of our Sunís influence on the near-Earth environment through IMAP and other research and technology endeavors.† To learn about these APLís mission and projects, https://civspace.jhuapl.edu/ and https://www.jhuapl.edu/OurWork/NationalSecuritySpace.
Are you skilled in thermal design and analysis?
Are you searching for unique and truly meaningful work in the Space Industry?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Thermal Engineer to help us develop one of a kind spacecraft. You will contribute to exciting missions such as Dragonfly and IMAP. You will join a hardworking team of engineers that conceive, develop, analyze, test, launch and fly spacecraft systems. To learn about APLís mission and projects, visit civspace.jhuapl.edu and www.jhuapl.edu/OurWork/NationalSecuritySpace.
As a Thermal Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be thermal modeling and analysis in space and/or convective environments
- You will conduct thermal design trade studies that successfully balance performance margins, resource use, risk, cost, and schedule
- You will design and execute thermal tests for components and assemblies
- You will perform thermal model validation using test and in-flight data
- You will coordinate with all levels of program and engineering staff on thermal design, analysis and test matters
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or equivalent
- Have 2+ years of thermal engineering experience
- Have experience with thermal modeling
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or equivalent
- Have 5+ years of thermal engineering experience
- Have experience with Thermal Desktop/SINDA
- Have experience with CFD software such as ANSYS FLUENT and meshing
- Experience with spacecraft or satellite development programs
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationís most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLís campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at†http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyoneís voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*