132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 1 New Jobs Today.
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting laboratory tests, experiments, and determinations in support of Duke University research operations.
The Barak Lab is performing translational research that involves developing pre-clinical stage drugs targeting ghrelin, neurotensin, and dopamine receptor signaling. These G protein coupled receptors are associated with many important motor, cognitive, and inflammatory diseases. In particular, this technical position will enable the applicant to work with a post-doctoral associate in projects involving developing new non-opioid drugs to treat pain, and in discovering D1 dopamine receptor compounds to treat Parkinson’s Disease without producing the dyskinetic side effects seen with current L-DOPA therapies. Performance of tasks associated with the scope of work will familiarize or further provide the applicant with skills and procedures utilizedby Pharma in the development of novel pharmaceuticals.
- Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological and other research laboratory tests, experiments, and determinations to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document, and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results.
- Confer with the principal investigator and post-doctoral associate to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required. Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals, abstracts, and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
The candidate will work closely with a postdoctoral fellows and graduate students and is expected to independently perform daily activities of the laboratory, which include:
· Scheduling mice maintenance, breeding, genotyping
· Assists lab personnel with routine experiments
· Familiarity with tissue culture and cell-based bioassays.
· Documents, compiles, and analyzes experimental results
· Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate laboratory equipment required for specific tests.
· Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents, and solutions.
· Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
· Work with other laboratory personnel within designated areas and assist in training
· Develop charts and graphs for scientific publications
· Maintain database for raw data and organize/prepare scientific data for analysis by the principal investigator.
· Assist with performing small and short-term basic experiments and completing individual parts of an overall large experiment/project
· Perform tissue culture related tasks involving cell cultures
· General lab managements, including ordering and safety inspections
Participate in weekly lab meetings and journal clubs, and present material as scheduled.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Education/Training: Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, physiology or other directly related scientific field.
Experience: AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description
Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities