132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 13 New Jobs Today.
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
The Laboratory Administrator manages administrative operations and financial, physical, and personnel resources for experimental faculty members with research groups of 10+. Depending on the size of the research group, the Lab Administrator may be supporting one to three research groups. The position reports directly to the Associate Director of Administration with a dotted line to the PI(s).
- Provide high-level administrative support to very active and complex experimental research labs
- Schedules meetings and seminars, maintains detailed calendars, and keeps faculty and group websites up to date
- Initiates new appointments, working to ensure all required paperwork is submitted and hiring practices are followed
- Composes and edits correspondences for PIís as required by their research and scholarly initiatives
- Helps assign desk/office/workspace for group. Maintains office equipment, supplies, and files
- Acts as mentor for Faculty Assistants within the Department and provides onboarding and training to support new hires Participates in hiring practices by conducting peer interviews and providing feedback to hiring managers
Research Administration, Finance, and Purchasing
- Interprets, applies, and advises on department and University policies and procedures
- Works closely with Physics Research Administration team to support preparing, submitting, and managing sponsored research grants. Assists with proposal preparation, including funding for personnel groups, budget justifications, equipment quotes, and technical progress reports
- Partners with Physics faculty and a variety of administrative coordinators on the appointment process for research appointments. Creates, submits, and maintains all progress and final reports as they relate to sponsored funding
- Manage all local financial transactions. Trains group members on proper usage of funds and creates reference materials to ensure compliance
- Processes expense reports and reimbursements, reconciles corporate card and PCard payments. Redirects and/or resolves billing problems and accounting errors internally and with outside vendors
- Orders and reviews group membersí orders for lab supplies and equipment. Serve as groupís financial approver for all purchasing requests within Harvard systems
- Performs audit function to assure accuracy and compliance with internal and external regulations
Website Management and Technical Support
- Generates, develops, and maintains faculty websites at the discretion of the PI
- Composes and edits correspondence, prepares letters of recommendation, course materials, and scientific articles which may involve scientific terminology and mathematical technical typing and desktop publishing script languages in programs like LaTex, MATLab, and Mathematica
- Manages HUIT equipment and maintains records for computer refresh program
- Draft, edit, and submit a wide array of written material with minimal direction from the PI
- Ensure that publication listings are current and compliant with federal requirements
- Develop and maintain methods for organization of information including files, databases, and other systems as they pertain to the complicated nature of each research PIís group
- Acts as Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) liaison, ensuring that all lab members are in the appropriate lab rosters and scheduled for required trainings within the facilities
- Responsible for lab inventory and ordering. Works closely with lab members to identify ordering needs and acts as the labís order submitting authority
- Manages capital equipment within the lab and coordinates with appropriate University contacts to ensure all items are tagged appropriately with known locations
- Coordinates site visits as directed by government agencies, handling all logistics from travel bookings and accommodations, catering orders, and itineraries for visitors
- Coordinates Postdoctoral Researcher interview visits, handling all logistics from travel bookings and accommodations, catering orders, and itineraries for visitors
- Organizes events for the lab, including weekly lab meetings, scientific advisory board meetings, and other events
- Manages, organizes, and executes all aspects of larger-scale meetings and conferences at the direction of the PI, including designing and promoting event collateral
Five or more years of related experience, preferably in a research or educational environment. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Bachelorís degree strongly preferred or an equivalent of education plus experience in an office environment. Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple and conflicting interests. Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion. Proficiency with computer software and use of current technologies.
This position will have an in-person presence and will be eligible for hybrid work after a successful orientation and review period. The ability to report to and provide support for events outside of normal business hours may be required and will be coordinated with notice.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the Universityís COVID-19 Information Website .
Please submit a cover letter when applying for this position. Knowledge of Physics is not necessary to be considered for this position.
FAS and the Department of Physics is committed to cultivating not only the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students but also in developing an†inclusive culture †that is vibrant, engaging and encouraging of innovation as well as intellectual debate. We believe creating and maintaining an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe an inclusive culture is one that accepts, values and views as strength the difference we all bring to the workplace.
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
USA - MA - Cambridge
403040 Coordinator II
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
40 hours per week
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities