Postdoctoral Research Associate - Nonlinear Spectroscopy in Chemical Separations
Requisition Id 9926
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Soft Materials and Membranes Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The postdoctoral research associate will focus on membrane materials and advanced separations and purification.
- Work with a team of scientists seeking to advance the separation science and technology for critical materials recovery and recycling for clean energy applications
- Work with the Membrane Technologies team to support a broad range of program development opportunities in the field of separation and purification involving critical materials (lanthanides, and battery materials), bioenergy technologies, and desalination to demonstrate the potential for clean energy technology development and commercialization
- Participate and collaborate with other researchers in the development of new research directions and proposals for funding
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in chemical engineering, chemistry, environmental science and engineering, materials science and engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A solid foundation in the science of separation and purification processes, materials chemistry, and engineering
- Hands-on experience in using materials for separations including design, synthesis, fabrication, characterization, and performance analysis
- Research experience in membrane-based separation and purification
- Process research and development experience in one or more separation processes such as nanofiltration, desalination, solvent extraction, liquid-liquid and solid-liquid separations, adsorption, and CO2 capture, separation and conversion.
- Research experience in clean energy materials such as lanthanides, battery materials with primary focus on separation, recovery, and recycling
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate to an international, scientific audience
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position and a list of publications. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities