Postdoctoral Research Associate - Nonlinear Spectroscopy in Chemical Separations
Requisition Id 9927
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Chemical Separations Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Under general supervision, the incumbent will focus on studies of liquid-liquid interfaces of relevance to chemical separations using a suite of surface specific optical spectroscopies and scattering techniques. This work aims to uncover mechanistic insight into how liquid extractions are mediated by interfaces.
- Apply surface specific nonlinear optical spectroscopies to the study of liquid-liquid interfaces during liquid extraction
- Assist in carrying out neutron/x-ray scattering experiments
- Develop new methods to probe interfaces away from equibrium
- Expand surface spectroscopies methods to nano-emulsions using scattering-based techniques
- Participate in development of new research directions
- Present and report results at meetings and conferences and publish scienctific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Work with ORNL staff and other postdoctoral research associates and students to accomplish the research goals
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience with ultrafast laser-based spectroscopies or microscopies, with special emphasis on infrared vibrational techniques (i.e., vibrational sum-frequency generation, IR-transient absorption, 2D-IR, etc.).
- Experience controlling hardware using LabVIEW and data analysis using Python/Matlab
- Experience with separations chemistry or studies of liquid interfaces
- Knowledge of neutron scattering methods to study complex liquid solutions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities