132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 1 New Jobs Today.
Research Technician - Lindsley Lab
- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- Research Laboratory
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- Onsite:Up to 1 day remote/wk
A Research Technician position is available in a laboratory of R. Coleman Lindsley, MD, PhD, at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) in Boston, Massachusetts (https://lindsleylab.dana-farber.org). Our laboratory studies how genetic and epigenetic abnormalities contribute to the development of blood cancers, such as acute leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes, in adults and children. We use genomic technologies in human samples, as well as laboratory models to understand disease and to develop novel approaches to improve current cancer therapies. Techniques commonly employed in the lab include CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering, proteomics, cloning, cell culture, and sequencing (DNA-, RNA-, and ChIP-seq).
We are seeking enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who thrive in a fast-paced, challenging research environment, and can interact well with others as part of a cohesive team.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
- Assist with the daily upkeep of the lab, overseeing the completion of routine lab tasks, deliveries of supplies, and maintenance of lab stocks. May be responsible for ordering of supplies.
- Conduct standardized biological, microbiological or biochemical tests and laboratory analyses, including the collection of information and samples from organic substances, such as blood, drugs, and animals.
- Maintain cells in culture and perform various in vitro experiments at biological safety levels 1 and 2.
- Perform a variety of in vivo experiments, blood and tissue collections, treatments and injections.
- Assist with maintenance and monitoring of the animal colony, breeding, weaning, tagging, and genotyping.
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings, including grant preparation and presentations, and look for opportunities to co-author publications. May be expected to participate in formal and information presentations of results to staff.
- Western blots, DNA/RNA isolations, PCR/qPCR, ELISA, and flow cytometry
- Maintains detailed notebook of all work-related activities.
- Monitors laboratory work to ensure compliance with Environmental Health and Safety information as well as the standard operation procedures specific to each laboratory.
- Expected to provide intellectual and interactive commitment to position by keeping up with appropriate literature and research publications.
- Collaborate with laboratory manager and staff scientists for the development, modification and improvement of standard operating procedures.
- Use computers, equipment, and high-technology applications to perform work duties.
The Research Technician will work under supervision to support and manage a laboratory at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute by performing DNA cloning, DNA/RNA sequencing, cell-based assays, PCR/RT-PCR and other biochemical techniques. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: cell culture work including maintenance of cells, transfections and infections; isolation of primary cells from blood or bone marrow, genotyping, injection (ip/iv) and blood collection from mice; and maintaining lab supplies.
B.A/B.S with significant biological/physical science coursework preferred. Experience with techniques in molecular biology and cell biology is highly desirable.
SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High degree of computer literacy
- Sound analytical and organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities
- Ability to identify potential problems and trouble-shoot solutions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data statistically and to present it logically
Laboratory environment: occasionally works with toxic chemicals, biohazards, animals, and substances emitting unpleasant odors.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities