132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 42 New Jobs Today.
Postdoctoral Fellow - Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike. Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.
This position will be located in the School of Medicine in the Translational Therapeutics Core of the Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. The research team values a collaborative environment that supports diverse team members conducting multi-disciplinary research. We are testing the potential repurposing of therapeutics to traumatic brain injury (TBI) as a new indication. Strong applicants will be able to bring expertise in molecular pathway analyses, electrophysiology and sleep behavior to complement our ongoing behavioral, neuropathological, biomarker, and neuroimaging studies of acute stage therapeutics to mitigate white matter injury and post-traumatic neurodegeneration.
HJF is seeking a Research/Postdoctoral Fellow to support the Translational Therapeutics Core of the Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine in the School of Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland. Responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects in collaboration with a research team, under the direction of Dr. Regina Armstrong, Chair of the Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics within the School of Medicine. The person selected for this position will conduct research in experimental models to screen therapies to promote regeneration and plasticity to protect against neurodegeneration and chronic symptoms associated with traumatic brain injury (TBI) and related clinical conditions.
- Conducts experiments in mouse models using cutting edge techniques for molecular pathway analyses of cellular responses to acute injury and during neurodegeneration, and the effects of candidate therapeutics to protect axons and promote regeneration and plasticity.
- Performs highly skilled and specialized laboratory research utilizing and designing experimental protocols which will involve specialized procedures such as sleep behavior and electrophysiological (ex vivo slice recordings and/or EEG/EMG) studies, animal injections, and stereotaxic surgery.
- Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
- Independently develops and troubleshoots new laboratory procedures to expand research capabilities within the lab group.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
- Performs data analysis and statistical comparisons to interpret experimental results. Prepares data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
- Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments. Trains and supervises technical staff. Coordinates with other technical and professional staff.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of appropriate scientific area; ability to conduct experiments and to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to work independently and teach techniques and protocols to others.
- Laboratory and animal research experience required.
- Experience with analyses of molecular pathways and cellular responses is required.
- Experience with sleep studies or electrophysiology (ex vivo slice techniques, EEG/EMG or other forms) is beneficial.
Depending upon specific study requirements, evening, holiday, or weekend work may occasionally be required. Set in a laboratory work environment.
- Mainly onsite; a few opportunities for telework.
Education and Experience
- Doctoral degree in neuroscience or related field is required.
- 0-5 years of relevant work experience required.
All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities