132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 42 New Jobs Today.
Environmental Bacteria and their Effects on Animal Physiology
The Van Andel Institute (VAI) is seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Burton Laboratory under the direction of Dr. Nick Burton. This role will present the opportunity to take on a leadership role in managing a research project studying how environmental bacteria affect animal physiology using the model animal C. elegans. We are especially interested in candidates with experience in either bacterial genetics or C. elegans biology, however, we can train on all aspects of this project and encourage all interested applicants to apply. Interested candidates can also reach out to Dr. Burton (Nick.Burton@vai.org) directly to learn more about the project and opportunities.
What this role will involve:
- Leadership opportunity managing a research project on how bacteria regulate animal (elegans) physiology.
- Training available in bacterial genetics and/or elegans.
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge technology with short wait times.
- Opportunity to work with highly collaborative scientists in the VAI Department of Epigenetics, the Department of Metabolism and Nutritional Programming, and throughout the Institute.
Why Join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?
- Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary beginning at $70,000. Learn more about VAI's dedication to investing in postdoctoral trainees and the recently announced salary increase here.
- Strong internal grants to support the career development of postdoctoral scholars.
Along with the competitive salary and extensive professional development opportunities and support, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI Benefits, including:
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI's dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs provides a comprehensive professional development program.
About Van Andel Institute:
- So many of us have had personal experience with the devastation diseases such as cancer and Parkinson’s bring to individuals, to families and to hope itself. Van Andel Institute is a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute with a mission to find what causes disease and to translate those discoveries into therapeutic solutions that conquer illness and enhance lives.
- Through cutting-edge biomedical research, inspired scientific education, and relentless commitment, VAI is unleashing innovations that will improve health and enhance lives for generations to come. With employees from nearly 30 countries, there are plenty of opportunities to meet people from various cultural, educational, and employment backgrounds. VAI fosters a diverse and collaborative environment. Ample natural light and open spaces foster dialogue and innovation.
- VAI is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan in the center of the Medical Mile and life sciences industry. There is an industry boom and strong entrepreneurial activity, which is helping to diversify and grow the economy offering exceptional career opportunities.
- A remarkable combination of a cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, Grand Rapids is known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community. Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids; offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports, and concerts. An eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods and natural areas surrounds the safe and clean downtown. It’s fun affordable and family-friendly.
- A Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in biology, molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, or a related field.
- Bacterial genetics or elegans experience is preferred, but not required.
- A record of peer-reviewed publications is highly desirable.
- If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply online today: https://jobs.silkroad.com/VAI/VAICareerSite/jobs/1010
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter outlining your research achievements and current and future goals.
- 2-3 references (name, relationship, contact email, and phone number)
If you have questions about the application process or working at VAI you are welcome to email Megan Doerr, Talent Acquisition Specialist at Megan.Doerr@vai.org .
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities