132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 42 New Jobs Today.
Program Officer, Research & Grants - Biomedical Research (Remote)
- Our scientific and programmatic team at Additional Ventures is focused on solving the biggest problems in biomedical research. We believe that strategic investment into areas where we can have an outsized impact and accelerate progress will be transformative. We focus our biomedical work on a rare congenital heart condition called single ventricle heart defects, a disease that affects both quality and duration of life and for which there is no cure. All our work is grounded in our guiding principles of urgency, impact focus, agility, and collaboration as we work towards our goal of a functional cure for single ventricle heart disease.
- The Additional Ventures Biomedical Research Initiative seeks a Program Officer, Research & Grants with a scientific background to be an integral part of its small team that is focused on single ventricle heart defects. We utilize high-touch, responsive request for proposal and post-award processes that support investigators and their work in creative ways to yield impactful results. We are actively aiming to expand our reach in the single ventricle scientific community and grow the field by evolving traditional funding mechanisms and incorporating new ideas in our approach to support for biomedical research. Our team works entirely remotely, and is collaborative, communicative, and dynamic.
The Program Officer will play an integral role in programming associated with our flagship grant programs, including the Single Ventricle Research Fund, and will oversee the planning, organization, and analysis of communications & deliverables related to all phases of award cycles, from application and review through final reporting. This role coordinates activities that require interfacing with basic, translational, and clinical scientists, funders, and officers at partner organizations, including the coordination and/or execution of contract management, progress reporting milestones, payment & budget tracking, and managing relationships with external partners. With a strong scientific background, this individual will play an integral role in coordinating and supporting scientific review, funding decisions, and assessing impact of Additional Ventures’ award programs.
This role will report to the Senior Program Manager, Research & Grants and work collaboratively with members of the Additional Ventures team to understand individual award workstreams and streamline administrative efforts. The role itself offers considerable opportunities to execute and support various programmatic initiatives of the foundation, while providing opportunity for professional development and growth. As our team is small, each member has a unique opportunity to have an outsized impact and to engage in the ideation, planning, implementation, and execution of new programs and directions.
- Supports the Senior Program Manager in the execution and management of activities related to Additional Ventures’ award programs, including the coordination of scientific review and progress reporting activities.
- Works closely with the Senior Program Manager to identify and develop strategic directions and programming for awardee cohorts, optimize grants administration processes, and coordinate and engage with external partners (including awardees, applicants, and grant offices).
- Provides project management expertise to support award workstreams from application through post-award processes, and monitors contract requirements, budgets, and deliverables to ensure compliance with appropriate guidelines; provides technical support to applicants and grantees as needed.
- Facilitates analyses to assess performance of grant programs and research teams, ensures collection and management of data critical to these assessments, and communicates findings with key stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively with the Biomedical Research team to support new initiatives and activities, where needed.
- Supports day-to-day operations within the Biomedical Program, including:
- Identifying and securing needed resources;
- Creating, implementing, monitoring, and updating project plans;
- Facilitating meetings with appropriate parties;
- Tracking tasks to ensure timelines, milestones and/or goals are attained;
- Monitoring and reporting progress as appropriate; and
- Resolving or escalating issues in a timely manner.
The target salary range for this role is $85,000-95,000 USD per year, plus benefits.
About Additional Ventures:
- Additional Ventures is a nonprofit foundation that aims to accelerate research progress and improve clinical care for children born with single ventricle (SV) heart defects so that they have a normal duration and quality of life. Although one in one hundred children are born with a congenital heart defect, there are limited options for those with the most complex forms, including SV. For these individuals, there is no cure. With rapid advances in areas like genomics, single-cell technologies, and tissue engineering, now is the time to coordinate concerted efforts to understand how to overcome this devastating, complex disease. For more information, visit www.additionalventures.org .
- PhD in in biological sciences, cardiovascular sciences, or related field
- At least three (3) years of postdoctoral experience within a biomedical or academic environment OR working professionally in a business, consulting, or philanthropic environment
- Familiarity with the Request for Proposal or Application process, government funding models, and scientific review process
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgement and initiative, prioritize and accurately complete multiple tasks while working under deadlines
- Comfort with ambiguity that comes with developing new initiatives
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills for technical and lay audiences, including scientists, clinicians, patients, funders, and other key stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications and the ability to quickly learn new software programs related to daily responsibilities
- Sensitivity and compassion for patients, as well as their families and caregivers; strong desire to make a difference
- Up to 10% travel is required
- Working knowledge of financial/accounting and other administrative policies and procedures
- Familiarity with federal government policies and procedures governing appropriate grant-related expenditures
- Experience developing systems for reporting and tracking research administration activities
- Experience managing multiple priorities and external partners; demonstrated ability to provide excellent client or customer service
Interested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSA4zdutNrGa3oqHCuhO5iACXT2BxeAXJ1IZzBjHuGEBmf4g/viewform?usp=sharing
Additional Ventures has a fully remote workforce; applicants must be legally qualified to work in the US.
Additional Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce. Research shows that women and minority groups often only apply to open roles if they meet 100% of the listed criteria. Additional Ventures encourages everyone — including women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and those in the LGBTQIA+ community — to apply for our open roles if they believe they are the right fit for our growing team.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities