132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 42 New Jobs Today.
STAFF001322 Staff Research Associate III (Postdoctoral Scholar)
Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) is the leading nonprofit research institute in the United States devoted to advancing Veterans health research. NCIRE is part of one of the world’s most dedicated and successful Veterans care communities, pioneering new treatments and understandings of military medicine and care.
Along with our partners at the San Francisco VA Health Care System and the University of California, San Francisco, we are working to discover and develop effective, safe, and practical treatments for military injuries and diseases affecting Veterans. Through new technologies, novel scientific insights, and international clinical collaborations, we strive to set a new standard of health care research for Veterans and military personnel.
The Atherosclerosis Research Lab within the UCSF Department of Surgery and the Department of Veterans Affairs is offering an SRA III (postdoctoral scholar) position.
Our laboratory has pioneered the study of extracellular vesicles and exosomes produced by macrophages as modulators of cardiometabolic diseases including diabetes, obesity and atherosclerosis. Ongoing projects in the lab aim to study the role of Diabetes and the APOE4 gene in altering macrophage-exosome biology and the impact this has on accelerating atherosclerosis, cardiac dysfunction and neurodegeneration in experimental mouse models. We are also developing new methods to produce exosomes that can serve to control cardiovascular disease and promote atherosclerosis regression as next generation biologic medicines.
We are seeking an individual with advanced training in cellular and molecular immunology to conduct semi-structured experiments to explore the biology of exosomes as modulators of intercellular communication between immune cells and those in cardiometabolic tissues. An important focus of the position will be to investigate mechanisms through which macrophage exosomes regulate bioenergetic activity in recipient cells to alter their metabolic and inflammatory properties.
Experience with conducting mammalian immunology research is required, while expertise with RNA biology, immunometabolism and histology is of benefit.
Our environment offers opportunities for academic growth and collaborative exchanges with laboratories within the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Examples of our recent publications can be found online:
- Conduct advanced immune cell profiling of vascular tissues and hematopoietic compartments in mouse models of dyslipidemia.
- Produce and purify exosomes from primary and immortalized macrophages
- Extract and quantify mRNA and miRNA in FACS sorted and primary cultured immune cells and their secreted exosomes
- Conduct statistical analysis and data plotting to report immune cell populations/exosomes and RNA levels
- Lead projects designed to explore the immune regulatory properties of macrophage exosomes in cardiometabolic inflammation and atherosclerosis
- Responsible for data table/figure creation for data presentation
- Maintain regular contact with the Principal Investigator to advance projects independently and as part of a team in the laboratory and with collaborators.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- PhD or MA degree focused on mammalian immunology or metabolism
- Minimum of 2-5 years research experience in immunology research using rodents
- Experience with flow cytometry, cell sorting and primary immune cell culture
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting and assist with the training of junior staff as required
- Strong oral/written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Computer literacy with emphasis on Windows Excel, Adobe Photoshop, and statistical software required for data analysis and its graphical output.
The salary range for this position is $64,480.00 - $93,060.24.
Please directly apply by cutting and pasting the below link into your browser. Any applications submitted through this job website will not be considered. All interested candidates must only apply using the link below to be considered.
Or apply by visiting us at www.ncire.org and apply for STAFF001322 Staff Research Associate III (Postdoctoral Scholar).
Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Per San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance, Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities