132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 42 New Jobs Today.
DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT
WHILE THE POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED, THE PRIORITY DATE TO APPLY IS JUNE 2, 2023.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
Together with world-class partners, the University of Washington’s College of Engineering is developing a new generation of innovators. A national leader in educating engineers, each year the College turns out new discoveries, inventions, and top-flight graduates, all contributing to the strength of our economy and the vitality of our community. As a College of Engineering employee, you can help create a real impact for our students, faculty, friends, and fellow staff while joining a community of innovators committed to building a culture where all members thrive, are valued, and feel a sense of belonging.
The Office of Research and Faculty Affairs is housed in the College of Engineering Dean's Office. The office manages ~ $170M in annual research expenditures for the College of Engineering. The office ensures that the College's research is conducted in a creative, efficient, and ethical manner and fosters best practices for integration research with the College's educational goals, as well as the College's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a departmentalized college, this position is expected to help support the mission of the Office of Research and Faculty Affairs to accelerate the translation of engineering discoveries into societal impact. Balancing compliance with service, this position helps promote the College's strategic commitment to engineering excellence for the public good. We develop critical resources and infrastructure to help faculty move their discoveries forward through partnerships both internally (with other UW colleges, schools, institutes, and centers), and externally (with other universities, industries, nonprofits, and national laboratories).
The Office of Research and Faculty Affairs has an outstanding opportunity for a Director of Research Development position to support and expand the College's diverse research related activities and programs. The Director of Research Development will serve as a broad-based resource in support of existing and emerging research programs. In conjunction with the Vice Dean and Associate Dean for Medical Technology Innovation, the Director of Research Development will initiate new and expand existing efforts to support the College research teams and its partner institutions and industries. This position will also develop and execute strategic and tactical plans for institutional funding applications to establish interdisciplinary projects and to expand and disseminate existing and emerging programs as it relates to new research efforts housed in the College of Engineering. The Director of Research Development will be responsible for working with leaders within the College of Engineering, across the UW, and at external organizations to forge connections and develop projects and funding applications that accelerate translational research. The Director of Research Development will need diverse scientific and project management expertise to integrate the programs offered by research Centers and Institutes in the College.
The College of Engineering is a departmentalized unit and oversees nine departments and one school. The Director position is expected to lead by building consensus, through engagement and collaboration. The College houses numerous engineering research facilities, IT services, and the Collaboration Core (an administrative unit to support interdisciplinary institutes, centers, and facilities), and partners broadly to serve a broad range of UW schools and colleges, external institutions, and industries. The College also provides educational programs and training to strengthen career development among faculty and postdoctoral researchers.
In directed by the Vice Dean, the Director of Research Development will be expected to proactively identify and respond to needs for strategic planning, organizational development, and management of various operational, financial, personnel, and administrative aspects in the Office of Research. As a leader in the Office of Research and Faculty Affairs, the Director of Research Development will be expected to represent the College and the UW at local and national meetings and conferences where appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Research Development (40%)
• Support the creation of new centers and institutes; promote the growth of existing centers and institutes. Leverage industry relationships and other opportunities to support this work.
• Partner with administrators and leaders of existing centers, departments, and institutions to identify new opportunities for College of Engineering engagement and outreach.
Develop, manage, and implement administrative and financial processes and systems to support the creation of CoE partnering research centers.
• Oversee preparation and execution of letters of support and/or memorandum of understanding, representing formal College of Engineering commitments, in accordance with UW, state, and federal policy and practices.
• In conjunction with faculty and College leadership, manage the institutional review committees including recruitment of committee members, coordination of reviews, delivery of recommendations to College leadership, and program evaluation and continuous improvement.
Grant Management (30%)
• Direct funding and research application development including the identification and analysis of funding opportunities, recommendations of relevant projects and contributors, and project management of application processes.
• Coordinate project management of funding application development and submission including: scope definition, project and lead identification, development of work breakdown structure, responsibility assignment, and timelines for submission; writing, reviewing, and editing of application materials; compliance with institutional, funder, and regulatory agency requirements.
• Working in partnership with the Director of Research to identify and/or develop workflows, templates, processes, and best practices in funding application development to support internal grant submissions and external partnerships.
Strategic Initiatives (30%)
• In conjunction with the Vice Dean, the Office of Marketing and Communications, and the Office of Advancement, support the creation and review of scientific content for select College of Engineering strategic initiatives.
• Serve as an internal consultant to College of Engineering staff leaders and program teams to design and execute new Center and Institute program or project development, improvement, and evaluation.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities