Are you searching for meaningful work enhancing physical security at an innovative, world renowned employer?
Do you like contributing to a team of dedicated individuals with a common goal?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Security Officer to help us maintain and improve our day to day Security related responsibilities. You will be joining a hardworking team of Security Officers who support the mission of APL 's analysts, engineers and scientists. Our team is committed to excellence, and we strive to foster an environment of initiative and vigilance.
As an APL Security Officer, you will...
- Verify the identification of employees and visitors by badge inspection and/or using the Security personnel databases, as well as provide control of all incoming and outgoing property.
- Patrol and inspect interior facilities to ensure that proper security protocols are being followed.
- Operate APL vehicles to patrol outside areas and ensure that proper security procedures are being followed, including enforcing all parking regulations.
- Write security-related reports and complete incident forms and present to security leadership staff.
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks to include use of fire extinguishers lifting heavy objects (e.g., classified waste bags) and employment of defense tactics.
- Be assigned to work one of three 24/7 shifts as specified by the hiring manager: 7AM to 3PM, 3PM to 11PM, or 11PM to 7AM.
Are you up for the job? You meet our minimum qualifications if you...
- Have a High School diploma or equivalent plus one year of security-related work experience (e.g. military, police, corrections), or a minimum of sixty (60) college credits in a related field (e.g. Criminal Justice, Psychology, etc.) from an accredited institution.
- Possess good interpersonal skills, as well as a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Are able to speak and write English to the level required to perform job tasks including interaction with a variety of people and preparation of written reports.
- Possess basic computer knowledge to include the skills to use a security database and email.
- Have a valid motor vehicle operator 's license in good standing with the Motor Vehicle Administration / Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Are willing and able to occasionally work mandatory overtime.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Are able to obtain satisfactory results from a pre-employment physical exam prior to your start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our expectations if you...
- Have successfully completed accredited training in defense tactics (e.g., restraint and handcuffing techniques), as well as CPR, standard first aid, and basic criminal investigation.
- Possess an active Secret clearance or higher.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*
PhD Jobs in Popular Cities