132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Senior Software Engineer
Does simulating reality in a computer appeal to you? Do you enjoy finding the right abstraction in software? Are you passionate about developing the best software solutions to support the modern warfighter in meeting our greatest national security challenges? Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development? Do you value working in a creative, collaborative, and diverse environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (A1C) Group needs an experienced senior-level software engineer.
You will work in a team of computational physicists, analysts and other software engineers to design, implement, test and document physics simulations.
As an Senior Software Engineer you will...
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software applications that accurately capture underlying physics while optimizing for efficiency and ease-of-use.
- Work closely with other engineers and physics to come to solutions for algorithms, program structure and analysis workflow.
- Implement high quality, extensively tested software.
- Seek new and innovative ways to improve algorithm efficiency and document software approaches.
- Review other engineers code.
- Translate prototype code into well engineered and tested code.
- Assist other developers as needed
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
You'll meet our minimum requirements if you have...
- A BS degree in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering or other STEM field
- A minimum of seven years of professional computer programming experience
- Experience with C++.
- Expertise in a modern software development language.
- A passion for learning.
- Enjoy creating simulations of real-world phenomena.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret to start and can ultimately obtain a final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Have experience in mechanical, fluids, dynamics, or thermal simulation & analysis.
- Expertise in C++.
- Working knowledge of CMake and git.
- Experience with programming computer graphics.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at: http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone�s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*