The mission of The University of Bridgeport is to promote academic excellence, personal responsibility, and commitment to service. Distinctive curricula in an international, culturally diverse supportive learning environment prepare graduates for life and leadership in an increasingly interconnected world.
Position Description Summary/Purpose:
The School of Engineering invites applications for adjunct faculty to teach undergraduate and graduate electrical engineering credit-bearing courses (lectures and/ or labs).
Areas of expertise: Electronics, Signal Processing, Communication, Image Processing, Power.
Adjunct faculty members provide students with high-quality learning experiences on a semester-by-semester basis. Adjunct faculty members are expected to perform all instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of University of Bridgeport.
Essential Job Functions/Primary Responsibilities:
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Abiding by and upholding University of Bridgeport’s mission, policies, and core values.
- Teaching undergraduate graduate students in assigned course(s). Some classes are during the day (9 am – 5 pm) and some in the evenings (6-9 pm). Classes are in person and not online.
- Implementing assigned courses as designed and specified in approved syllabi.
- Using Canvas effectively.
- Assigning grades based on specified criteria as delineated in course syllabi and posting the grades to Canvas and the University’s data systems.
- Being available to students for individual consultation.
- Assisting students with how to be successful in class.
- Communicating in a timely manner with students, faculty, and staff.
- Meeting all course and semester timelines by the specified due dates.
- Staying current within the field of study.
- Conducts all work in a safe manner and all work safety practices are followed.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current with trends.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Demonstrated commitment to developing and fostering best practices and policies to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, and build an environment in which all members of the University community are treated with respect and dignity.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Minimum master’s degree in electrical engineering or related field. A Ph.D. is preferred.
- Professional work experience electrical engineering.
- Demonstrated skill in teaching in an on-line environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use web-based applications and learning management software (e.g., Blackboard, Canvas).
- Demonstrated dedication to excellence in teaching and a commitment to high academic and professional standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- A commitment to the academic, emotional, and social development of all students.
- This position is on ground teaching in Bridgeport, CT
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between The University of Bridgeport and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)