President of Operations
President of Operations (POO) Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the President of Operations (POO) is a critical member of KIPP St. Louis’ C-team, working cross-functionally as an organizational leader to bring KIPP STL into its next chapter of growth and innovation. KIPP STL’s POO manages functions critical to ensuring that KIPPsters are welcomed and cared for in clean, safe, and efficiently managed schools, including facilities, information technology, compliance, school operations (e.g., attendance and enrollment).
The POO manages the implementation of the growth strategy for KIPP STL and leads the work to define and deliver services provided to KIPP STL’s schools. This role directly manages the Directors of Regional Operations, Data and Compliance, Recruitment and Enrollment, and Safety and Security; as well as transportation and IT vendors.
This is an ideal opportunity for seasoned operations professionals with a track record of building and right-sizing systems in organizations that have moved from start-up to long-term sustainability. The incoming KIPP STL POO is people- and community-oriented in their approach to ensuring KIPP STL’s schools, families, and teams have the resources to thrive.
Who we are:
KIPP St. Louis is a part of a national network of free, open-enrollment, public charter schools offering a choice to families and children in St. Louis city. As the largest charter school system in the city, we are driven and committed to our mission, vision, and equity statement.
Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Vision: Every child grows up free to create the future they want for themselves and their communities.
Equity Statement: KIPP St. Louis is committed to becoming an anti-racist and anti-sexist organization by confronting inequities, barriers, and oppressive policies and systems.
KIPP St. Louis currently educates over 2,000 students and at full growth, we will educate nearly 3,600 students and hundreds of alumni. Today, our St. Louis network consists of two middle schools, three elementary schools, and a high school.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Regional & School Operations Oversight
- Assess challenges and develop solutions around KIPP's school-level operations, including but not limited to transportation, food services, facility needs, and data systems.
- Secure contracts and manage relationships with consultants and outsourced vendors to ensure that all services are being provided completely, effectively, and efficiently.
- Maintain custody of funds, securities, deeds, bills of sale, insurance policies, contracts and other similar documents and instruments relating to the business operation.
- Codify operational procedures and policies across all school sites, differentiating when necessary to fit the needs of each school's student population.
- Report on operations to the Executive Director, ensuring the continuous flow of information regarding all business operations.
Facilities & Real Estate
- Manage KIPP St. Louis's real estate portfolio, ensuring facility solutions and plans are in place to achieve growth while integrating mission, finance, development, and facility perspectives.
- Support the Director of Regional Operations in supervision of staff providing facilities and maintenance management to ensure school buildings are clean, well maintained, safe, secure, and meeting educational needs.
- Write and evaluate all Requests for Proposals.
- Manage any facilities and real estate vendors.
- Work with St. Louis Public School (SLPS) District leadership - two of our facilities are owned and maintained by SLPS.
- Assist in the implementation of a facilities plan.
- Ensure compliance systems, staffing, and tools in place for annual and charter cycles such that KIPP St. Louis fully complies with federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements, with no misses that damage student and staff welfare, financials, ability to operate and grow, or reputation.
- Answer state and federal legality questions for KIPP St. Louis staff.
- Advise department leads, School Leaders, social workers and operations on any compliance changes.
- Directly manage the Director of Regional Operations, Director of Data and Compliance, and Manager of Facilities, along with Director of IT (Vendor).
- Oversee vendor relationships, contracts, and performance.
- Hire, manage, train, and develop regional operations staff and, in coordination with school leaders, school operations staff to deliver excellent operations services and support.
- Manage overall quality of operations performance and customer service, analyzing service performance and customer satisfaction data to set and achieve continuous improvement goals.
- Ensure operations staffing, systems, and vendors are in place for transportation and food programs with timely, reliable, safe, on budget, and fully compliant delivery of services.
- Create systems for purchasing and inventory management including administrative supplies, instructional materials, furniture, and equipment.
Technology & Data
- Supervise technology staff and strategies for planning, implementation, and support of all technology required for KIPP St. Louis to achieve its educational and business goals:
- Functions include: Integration and maintenance of technology architecture and systems administration including network, servers, workstations, connectivity, backup, software, hardware, and information security; and
- Efficient, proactive, and responsive user support and customer service for staff and students.
- Manage Gadellnet, virtual Director of Technology, onsite support.
- Contribute, with instructional leaders, to educational technology and data management strategies.
- Manage state, federal and KIPP Foundation reporting.
- Conduct ad hoc regional analysis.
- Manage student data and all relevant systems.
- Collaborate with academic counterparts as needed.
- Work with the ED to provide staff support and guidance to the Board of Directors and act as staff liaison to relevant Board committees.
Business Planning/Strategic Planning and Execution
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Chief of Staff in executing the creation of and subsequent annual review and updating of KIPP St. Louis's comprehensive 2025 strategic plan.
- Evaluate and create new systems, procedures, and policies to ensure the organization is operationally and financially sound through its growth.
- Manage Data, Human Resources, Operations, Technology, Legal and Facilities Function.
Safety and Security
- Create base plans for schools to work from in creating school-level plans
- Review and evaluate school safety procedures to ensure safety of students, staff, and parents.
- Ensure all fire drills occur.
- Set standard policies and procedures., maintaining all relevant systems.
- Serve as liaison to law enforcement and KIPP Foundation on all issues related to safety and security.
- Lead region-wide management of legal affairs, insurance, and other risk management strategies.
- Participate in and contribute to KIPP national network and local charter network of operations and leadership staff, accessing and sharing learning and support with peers in other organizations.
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
What you bring to the table: All successful candidates must be a steadfast believer that all students can achieve academic excellence, regardless of background. In addition, strong candidates will have:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing operational management experience for a multi-site organization and prior demonstrated organizational leadership experience.
- Experience leading, planning and managing in an entrepreneurial, client-oriented setting.
- Excellent management, communication, public relations, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage business systems and processes to support a growing multi-million-dollar organization
- Experience in facilities, transportation, food services and real estate; especially as related to schools, is preferred.
- Ability to negotiate and execute contracts and manage the quality of service providers and vendors.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making.
- Adept at thinking strategically, translating plans into action, and exhibiting excellent judgment.
- Excellent writing, speaking, and presenting skills, and a keen attention to detail.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP St. Louis's mission and values, including a strong commitment to the belief that all children can learn and deserve access to an excellent public education.
- Naturally and readily assumes responsibility to fix problems and create improvements.
- Ability to quickly and effectively build relationships with, motivate, and engage a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and exhibit flexibility in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Skilled at analyzing, interpreting, and using data to collaborate, identify best practices and areas for improvement, and drive results.
Salary range is $150-170K, commensurate with experience and education.
What we bring to the table:
We are a fast paced, energetic team and family with passionate people who are leading a movement and to cultivate the their best working environment we provide the following:
- $0 deductible healthcare plan option, including medical, vision and dental.
- Employer Paid Short Term Disability
- $50,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee
- Retirement plan through PSRSSL with a 14% match and an optional 403b as a supplement to our pension program
- Employee Recognition: When we succeed together, we celebrate together with our annual gala award ceremony, christmas party, and more!
- Public Service student loan forgiveness program qualified employer
- Longevity Bonuses: 2, 5, and 10 year financial rewards
- Generous time off:
- Paid leave for illness, personal days, bereavement, jury duty, and military-related leave
- Paid parental leave for new families
- Paid holidays, as well as a one week Thanksgiving break, a two-week winter break, a week-long spring break
- Wellness days and Fabulous Fridays (leave at 1:30 on Friday once a month)
- On-going professional development opportunities:
- Weekly coaching sessions
- Weekly school-based professional development
- Five in-person PD days during the year for all KIPP St. Louis teachers
If you are interested in working at KIPP St. Louis, please visit our website to find out how to apply!
Check out our KIPP St. Louis video to learn more about KIPP St. Louis Public Schools!
KIPP St. Louis is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all our students, families, teachers, staff and community members. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*