Staff Research Associate II
The (Stephen) Hauser lab is looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and organized Staff Research Associate (SRA) to assist in our aims at understanding the pathophysiology of central nervous system diseases with an emphasis on neuroimmunology and genomics. We perform functional studies utilizing human immune and nervous system cells.
The Staff Research Associate II will assist the lab with processing of human peripheral blood and cerebrospinal fluid samples for flow cytometry, cell sorting, immunohistochemistry, fluorescent microscopy, mass spectrometry and deep sequencing protocols. The SRA II will also assist the lab in isolating several immune cells, human primary brain cells and neuronal cells and maintain them in culture. Additionally, the SRA II is expected to assist in ordering lab supplies, making stock reagents, and maintaining equipment.
As we work with patient samples that must be processed as soon as they arrive in the lab, flexibility in the working hours is very important. In return, you will receive the opportunity to participate in several highly impactful studies and utilize cutting-edge technology to look at fascinating patient populations. We are a passionate, energetic group of researchers and hope to find someone who shares a similar commitment to the exciting work we are doing.
Note: Health/Physical screen is required.
To see the salary range for this position (we recommend that you make a note of the job code and use that to look up):TCS Non-Academic Titles Search (ucop.edu)
Please note: The compensation ranges listed online for roles not covered by a bargaining unit agreement are very wide, however a job offer will typically fall in the range of 80% - 120% of the established mid-point. An offer will take into consideration the experience of the final candidate AND the current salary level of individuals working at UCSF in a similar role.
For roles covered by a bargaining unit agreement, there will be specific rules about where a new hire would be placed on the range.
To learn more about the benefits of working at UCSF, including total compensation, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
Throughout the Department of Neurology at UCSF, our mission is to deliver superb patient care, to apply state-of-the-art translational research methods to discover the causes of, and treatments for human nervous system disorders, and to educate each generation of medical students, neurology residents and postdoctoral fellows. By fostering cross-disciplinary interactions among scientists around the world, we accelerate the pace of discovery and champion the University's global health initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in biology, biochemistry, bioengineering or related field and one or more years of recent, directly related work experience, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Knowledge/interest in working with complex lab equipment and processes.
- Experience working with primary cells and maintaining their culture.
- Experience with several molecular biology/immunology techniques, including gel electrophoresis, in vitro DNA replication and restriction reactions, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, immunoblot, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, flow cytometry, cell sorting, microscopy etc.
- Proficiency in design and execution of experiments, and organization, analysis, and presentation of results.
- Proficiency with common software, including Microsoft Office.
- Flexibility and confidence to adapt to any new experimental circumstances- ability to work evenings and weekends if required.
- Willingness to learn new concepts and skills.
- Ability to identify problems and to design potential solutions.
- Ability to communicate problems and results clearly and concisely.
- Ability to collaborate collegially with a group, to receive guidance, and to support others.
- Meticulous record/inventory keeping abilities.
- Participate in lab meeting and provide timely updates.
- Two-years’ experience as a molecular biology/immunology technician.
- One year experience as a senior molecular biologist or two-years experience at the graduate academic research level.
- Coding experience with R or Python.
- Cell culture experience.
- One-year or more experience with bioinformatics analysis.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
009617 SRA 2 NEX
Research and Scientific
University Professional Technical Employees – Research Support Professionals Unit (UPTE-RX)
Additional Shift Details
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*