UCHC Licensed Practical Nurse BSP
Location: New Brunswick, New Jersey
Allied Health - Staff/Administrative
Internal Number: 180151
Rutgers University Correctional Health Care is seeking Per Diem Licensed Practical Nurse for the Bayside State Prison located in Leesburg, New Jersey. The primary purpose of the Licensed Practical Nurse position is to, in accordance with professional nursing standards, skillfully administer total patient care based on the individualized needs of assigned patients and families. Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, provides technical nursing care to assigned patients, performs treatments and procedures within established guidelines, and provides a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Provides input to Registered Nurse for incorporation into the plan of care by communicating information pertinent to the patient's status.
- Provides direct patient care within scope of practice to ensure implementation of the plan of care.
- Documents all aspects of patient care.
- Informs and instructs patients on patient's health/illness state and plan of care.
- Participates in data collection related to the patients' status and needs.
- Assists patient/significant other in preparation for discharge and health maintenance in the home.
- Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures.
- Maintains supplies and equipment.
- Administers medications and parenteral therapy in accordance with established policies.
- Demonstrates competency in performing all procedures within scope of practice and requirements for position.
- Maintains patient safety, comfort and cleanliness.
- Effectively relates with patients and/or significant others.
- Reports all necessary information and/or unusual occurrences in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge of and participates in nursing quality assurances activities.
- Serves productively on committees and participates in unit staff meetings.
- Participates in staff development and educational activities.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Graduate from a Licensed Practical Nursing Program
Microsoft windows computer, electronic medical record, other medical and office equipment
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
As a first responder must have the physical capacity to perform CPR for at least 10 minutes. Physically able to assist in lifting and rotating patients who are unable to ambulate (up to 50 pounds). Typing, ability to work at varying computer workstations provided by the Department of Corrections in shared office environments. Ability to speak clearly and write proficiently is essential, extensive reading required, extended sitting and/or standing is required. Intermittent physical exertion when performing job activities, ability to move from unit to unit within correctional facilities requiring walks, bends, stretches, pushes, and pulls. Hearing is essential, ability to speak clearly is required, required to travel within the state, ability to implement Universal Precautions and Safety Precautions and on call responsibilities
Able to function in a stressful environment and relates well to patients, security staff and healthcare team members. A generally crisis oriented, secure environment working with adults, some who exhibit aggressive, threatening and assaultive behaviors. Handle emergency and crisis situations. Nurse must exhibit flexibility to work in a variety of settings. May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases. Possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, strains. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Entering and movement within the facility will be controlled by Correctional Officers.
Must possess own vehicle or alternative means of transportation from one site to another.
Must be able to work mandatory overtime and will not be able to leave until the next shift relief arrives or other coverage can be arranged and to stay in cases of an emergency. Able to work different shifts as needed. As needed, the job may require emergency shift changes (day, evening, and nights) and location changes within a region and to work weekends and holidays as per the labor management agreement.
Must be approved by the Department of Corrections (DOC) and adhere to all DOC requirements. Employees will be subject to and must comply with all security regulations and procedures of NJ Department of Corrections and the assigned facility(ies) including, but not limited to sign in logs or electronic time clocks, searches of person and property, etc. Violations of NJ Department of Corrections and/or being banned by the Department of Corrections to work at a NJ Department of Corrections' facility are grounds for a disciplinary action and potential termination.
Posting Number: 22ST3104
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About Rutgers University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.
Connections working at Rutgers University
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*