Graduate Assistant McNair - Academic Counselor
Title:Graduate Assistant McNair (Academic Counselor)
Functional Title:Graduate Assistant McNair - Academic Counselor
Category Status:04-Graduate Assistant
Applicant Search Category:Graduate Assistant
Unit:UGST-Academic Achievement Programs
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University requires that students, faculty, and staff on the UMD campus be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Academic Counselor position is responsible for:
- Assisting with recruitment activities.
- Assisting with planning and conducting workshops.
- Advising students on graduate school preparation (e.g. admissions, financial aid, course selection etc.) and matters related to graduate school and doctoral study.
- Maintaining accurate records on advising caseload, student attendance sheets for all activities, and other pertinent records that demonstrate student compliance with activities.
- Assisting with planning for the Summer Research Institute.
- Planning summer graduate school visits and related trips.
- Assisting with organizing the summer closing banquet.
- Designing appropriate forms to document and assess student performance.
- Assisting with preparing annual performance reports.
- Representing the program in the absence of the Associate Director.
- Performing other administrative duties as assigned by the Director and/or Executive Director.
- Enrollment in a graduate program leading to a master’s degree in Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or related fields is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and genuine interest in student development.
- Enrollment in a doctoral program in Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or related fields is strongly preferred.
- Experience with conducting research preferred.
Open Until FilledYes
Best Consideration Date09/16/2022
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*