Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Drexel University
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Category: Admin-Laboratory and Research
- Posting Date: 07/09/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Job no: 496222
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Engineering
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Drexel University - College of Engineering:
Since its founding in the midst of the industrial revolution in 1891, Drexel University has emphasized its strengths in engineering, science and technology to train men and women to become leaders. In little over a century, Drexel University has transformed itself into a large, comprehensive institution committed to excellence in education, research and service to the engineering society and to the broader community. Although much has changed, the original mission of the university still rings true today. To learn more about each of the divisions and programs offered, visit: http://drexel.edu/engineering/
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics:
MEM has 26 faculty members, 23 of whom are tenured/tenure track. The Department has well-regarded, traditional programs in mechanics, thermal fluid sciences, systems and controls, and manufacturing which are complemented by advanced energy technologies, tissue engineering, biomechanics, bio-inspired robotics, microfluidics, and plasma science. Drexel University has a state-of-the-art computing facility (https://drexel.edu/research/urcf/) that is being updated in 2020 using a National Science Foundation Major Research. Instrumentation grant and university capital investment. MEM offers an ABET-accredited B.S. programs in Mechanical Engineering. At the graduate level, the Department offers M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics and recently launched an M.S. program in Robotics, and the nation’s first M.S. in Peace Engineering. The Department currently serves a population of approximately 1,100 undergraduate and graduate students. Additional information on MEM can be found at:
The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics at Drexel University is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Fellow.
This effort will involve exploration of emergent ferroelectric order and properties. It will involve the design, production and study of novel dipolar phases, states of matter, and emergent phenomena in ferroic materials. As part of this program, we will develop understanding of polarization topologies in thin films with atomic-scale perfection such that competing energy scales can be controlled to produce the formation of unexpected (and thus emergent) phenomena without significant interference from extrinsic materials limitations (i.e., defects, granularity, etc.). The candidate will work as part of a multi-group team with collaborators working on first principles-based atomistic simulations, phase-field modeling, thin-film synthesis, and advanced characterization methodologies that will enable the team to predict and realize new and exotic dipolar textures. The goal of the program is to develop these approaches so that deterministic, on-demand control of order-parameter topologies can be achieved, provide fundamental insights into the mechanisms for such phase formation, and probe the field-, temperature-, stress-, and optically-driven responses of these emergent states. Candidates will work closely with various other graduate students and postdocs as well as co-PIs at Drexel and other institutions and will be tasked with supporting program reporting and meeting requirements.
This position with the University is supported fully by external funds; therefore, this offer and the continuation of your employment are contingent on receipt of those external funds.
- Design and performance of experiments and analysis in accordance with sponsored projects and tasks at the direct of the lab PI .
- Drafting/writing manuscripts in support of dissemination, project report preparation.
- Supervise, train and co-mentor junior members of the lab.
- Maintaining experimental systems/troubleshooting including sourcing components/materials/parts and support of environmental health and safety training and compliance tasks.
- PhD in Physics or Engineering, with five (5) years experience.
- Experimental candidates are sought to synthesize and process complex oxide thin films, including producing free-standing versions of materials and subsequently characterize their structure, chemistry and properties.
As such, we seek candidates with experience in the following areas:
- Synthesis of complex oxide thin films (PLD, MBE, etc.)
- Processing and utilization of released or free-standing thin-film materials of complex oxides
- Structural characterizations of thin-film materials, including X-ray diffraction
- Scanning probe microscopy, including piezoresponse force microscopy and other related techniques
- Dielectric, piezoelectric and ferroelectric device micro-fabrication and property measurement in thin-film geometries
- Optics/laser spectroscopy, cryostats, including superconducting
- On-wafer RF microwave device measurements and analyses
- University City.
- This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
When submitting your application, please include the following:
- A cover letter including a statement of interest and justification of qualifications and experience
- Full CV/Resume (pdf)
- Names and contact information of two potential references
Advertised: Jul 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend