Visiting Research Scientist - Physics (150674)
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Location: Champaign, Illinois
- Category: Admin-Laboratory and Research
- Posting Date: 09/17/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Visiting Research Scientist
Department of Physics
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Physics at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Visiting Research Scientist. The Visiting Research Scientist will conduct super resolution single molecule imaging and electrophysiology on the hippocampal neurons and learning and memory system in the Selvin lab.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO .
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Independently plan and conduct experiments in the research area of glutamate receptor trafficking during synaptic plasticity and Alzheimer’s disease using super resolution single molecule imaging, neuronal culture (both dissociated and organotypic slice culture), electrophysiology, neuroanatomy and behavioral techniques, as well as supervising animal breeding of transgenic animals.
- Assisting in the training of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Analyzing data from imaging, electrophysiology and behavioral studies using statistical software packages.
- Preparing manuscripts and other presentations for publication and other presentations for national and international meetings.
Minimum Qualifications :
- Ph.D. in biological sciences or neuroscience
- At least 5 years of Postdoctoral experience performing neurophysiological experiments in the learning and memory system, especially the hippocampus and cortex. Experience in confocal imaging, brain slice physiology (both field recording and whole-cell recording), electrophysiology on cultured cells, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry, organotypic hippocampal slice culture, dissociated hippocampal neuronal culture, brain tissue fractionations, intracranial injections, virus productions, animal breeding protocols, mouse behavioral experiments including learning and memory tasks, and methods for delivering controlled cortical trauma.
Successful candidates will have:
The Visiting Research Scientist position is a full time, benefits-eligible visiting Academic Professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The position may become permanent at a later date. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by September 29, 2021. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Stephanie Swearingen, firstname.lastname@example.org , 217-244-5891.
University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment . As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility .