EVPR Fellow in Research Management
- Columbia University
- Location: New York City, New York
- Category: Admin-Laboratory and Research
- Posting Date: 10/17/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Interested in helping pursue major research grants to transform science and society? Are you both entrepreneurial and collaborative? A strategic thinker who can also roll up your sleeves to ensure every aspect of a proposal stands out? Consider joining the team in the Office of Research Initiatives and Development (ORID) within the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research (EVPR) at Columbia University as an EVPR Fellow in Research Proposal Development.
The selected EVPR Fellow will be appointed for one year with the potential of extension to a second year. We seek individuals holding a doctoral degree who want to gain experience in research development and proposal management and are contemplating a career path in research administration.
The Office of the Executive Vice President for Research promotes research excellence and research integrity across the entire university. The EVPR’s Office of Research Initiatives and Development works across disciplines, schools and campuses to foster interdisciplinary collaboration and supports efforts to secure funding for these collaborations. It identifies opportunities and forges strategies that reinforce Columbia’s status as a Tier One research institution.
The EVPR Fellow will join a team which works closely with faculty and research leadership across the university. The fellowship will focus on the development and preparation of large-scale, strategic proposals that are multi-departmental and multi-institutional. Specifically, the EVPR Fellow will help find funding opportunities, establish grant strategies, create proposal requirement documents and timelines, and generally help project manage the submission. The Fellow will assist faculty in all aspects of proposal writing, editing and preparation, and in particular, proposal components such as requirements for: workforce development; K-12 education; and diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies. Working closely with other staff, the EVPR Fellow will also support the strategies for establishing partnerships with industry, federal labs, non-profits and state and local governments. The EVPR Fellow will report to the Executive Director of the Office of Research Initiatives and Development.
This fellowship will expose the recipient to the administrative, legal, policy, and operational issues in academic research that are also the purview of the Office of the EVPR. The Fellow will thus also participate in other projects, initiatives and analyses to promote the growth of Columbia’s research mission.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of related experience required. Ph.D. in STEM fields, including the social and behavioral sciences, and applicable related fields strongly preferred.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Previous grant writing/submission experience.
- Flexibility and time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize among a large number of diverse responsibilities.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to multitask and respond professionally in challenging situations are essential.
- Prior experience as a postdoctoral fellow and/or grant writing/submission useful.
- Other desired qualifications: experience with Microsoft Office and G-Suite applications (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Google Docs); experience with Canvas, Photoshop, HTML, and InDesign, among other marketing and website design platforms.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.