The American Bar Foundation seeks a Program Associate to provide support for the day-to-day activities of ongoing ABF fellowship and scholars programs including the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (SURF), doctoral and postdoctoral fellowship programs, and Visiting Scholar program. This position also provides support for ABF academic conferences, meetings, and workshops. This position reports to the Director of Programs and Operations.
About the ABF
Located in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood, the American Bar Foundation is a nonprofit, independent international research institute committed to empirical, interdisciplinary research on law, legal institutions, and legal processes. The ABF offers a rich intellectual community of scholars with expertise in a wide range of disciplines, and staff have ample opportunities to interact with scholars and attend research presentations, such as a weekly Wednesday seminar series. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees that includes generous paid time off, health insurance, and retirement.
Duties of the Position:
Program Coordination (60%)
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program Coordination (35%)
- In addition to the general duties above, the Program Associate has added responsibility for the SURF program, including:
- Play a central role (with other staff committee members) in the screening, interviewing, and final selection of fellows.
- Assign ABF faculty mentors for the fellows.
- Schedule, arrange, and coordinate the SURF calendar, including external site visits with law firms, government agencies, and other organizations.
- Supervise 4-6 SURF students on-site during the 8-10 week summer program.
- Prepare fellows for an end-of-summer research presentation by assigning research, writing, and public speaking tasks.
- Provide career and academic support to interns after the completion of the program (e.g., advising on applications to graduate school or law school).
Fellowship and Visiting Scholar Program Support (25%)
- Recruiting: Prepare and disseminate fellowship position postings. Aid with targeted recruitment. Act as the primary point of contact for applicants and respond to inquiries about the programs. Process applications for fellowship programs using an online recruiting tool. Prepare offer and rejection letters.
- Program Management: Serve as administrative point of contact for incoming fellows. Work with Manager of HR and Operations with onboarding new fellows. Support for in-residence and alumni fellows with duties such as administrative support and expense reimbursements. Serve as a liaison to ABF faculty fellowship committee to coordinate internal weekly fellows working group meetings, and awarding the annual Hetlage prize for best ABF doctoral fellow paper. Assist Manager of HR and Operations with offboarding fellows at the end of their terms. Maintain fellowship alumni contact lists and assist with planning annual one-day alumni conference. Track data on key metrics to evaluate fellowship programs and coordinate third-party program evaluations. Assist with monitoring program compliance with contractual award terms, budgets, and internal policies.
Academic Event Support (40%)
- Work with ABF faculty and Operations staff to coordinate academic conferences, workshops, book launches, and other meetings, including scheduling, securing lodging and event space, ordering catering and AV if needed, convening and managing virtual meetings, processing expense reimbursements, monitoring the budget, and day-of staffing of the event. On rare occasions, staffing is required for evening or weekend events. Most events are in Chicago but travel may occasionally be required.
- Work with ABF staff and faculty to maintain contact lists for promoting events.
- Collaborate with ABF Communications team to advertise events.
- Assist Office Coordinator and Executive Assistant with ABF workshops, conferences, and other events when needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Skills and Knowledge
- Outstanding project management skills, with ability to “manage up,” multitask and prioritize effectively while maintaining quality, accuracy, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with vendors, management, academics and legal professionals, and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner.
- A self-starter who thinks critically and solves problems creatively.
- Strong contributor in a team environment.
- Experience coordinating events and staying within budget.
- Commitment to personal growth and development on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- High proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Zoom and web-based applications.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience working at a nonprofit, academic institution or research institute preferred.
- Must be an Illinois resident and authorized to work in the U.S. for the duration of employment.
Work Environment: This is a hybrid position that allows some days working remotely and requires some days reporting to a professional office environment. All ABF staff reporting to the office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot when eligible. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift up to 15 pounds, open cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Typical ABF staff work hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with a one-hour lunch period. Occasional work outside of these hours is expected in connection with Foundation events, such as participation in meetings, conferences, symposia, or other program events. Some travel may be required.
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary is $46,000. Full-time benefits include?medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid sick leave?(10 days);?paid?personal leave?(5 days); paid vacation (10 days);?paid?holidays, including a week-long winter holiday recess;?FSA or HSA; 403(b) retirement plan?with?employer match; transit and parking benefits, including discounted parking;?employee assistance program;?corporate discounts;?and more.?
EEO Statement: The ABF is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons. All decisions regarding the terms, privileges, and/or conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, classification, grading, recruitment, discharge, discipline, compensation, selection for training or apprenticeship, placement, promotion, transfer, renewal of employment, tenure or terms, and benefits, will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from the military, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, housing status, parental status, source of income, certain arrest or criminal history records, genetic information, protected activity (such as opposition to or reporting of prohibited discrimination or harassment), or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws. The ABF prohibits discrimination, retaliation, and harassment of individuals on any of the bases listed above and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and/or local law.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume at https://apply.interfolio.com/106331. No phone calls, please.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $46,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
All ABF staff reporting to the office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot when eligible.
Work Location: One location
*Please mention you saw this ad on PhdJobs.*